Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Harrigan's Irish Pub - Pokolbin, Hunter Valley


After our late lunch munchies of potato croquettes and the final packing of our getaway was attended to.  Cheesecake Boy drove us up to the Hunter Valley.  However, we were quite full when we got there around 6pm, and it wasn't until 10pm or so that night we finally got hungry.  We didn't feel like room service and most of the other places were closed, so it was off to Harrigan's the Irish pub as they were opened till midnight for some pub food.

The charming entrance
Fellow diners

Thankfully it was a late Wednesday night, so we managed to get a seat.  Otherwise, this place can get very packed.  Charming Irish music was playing, whilst we decided what to eat.  They are famous for their Beef and Guinness Pie, but I was not in the mood for pie and wanted something less meaty.

The menu

I love hot chips, they are definitely one of those things I should eat less of.  I particularly love beer battered chips, so when I saw these on the menu they were a must order.  They did not disappoint, they were crunchy and had that sweet salty taste that is unique to beer battered chips.  I was thinking about them around lunch the next day too.

Beer battered diamond cut chips with tomato sauce, $6.90

Cheesecake Boy and I have a thing for BBQ chicken pizza's.  They refer to their BBQ chicken pizza  here as yankee doodle dandy, I have no idea why as the rest of the pizza's have more standard names.  However, that must have made this one an extra special choice.  Anyway, the pizza turned out better than I had expected as it had a crisp base, but I think that the richness of the sour cream was a little too much.  Slashings of BBQ sauce is always good though. 

Yankee doodle dandy - BBQ chicken with avocado, Spanish onion and a sour cream swirl, $19.90

For some standard pub fare in the Hunter Valley, you shouldn't go pass Harrigan's for some Irish charm.  It's worth it just to see the pub itself, they don't make them like this anymore.  Otherwise, if you are after a late night bottle of wine their bottle shop is open till quite late and has a wonderful range available.


Happy eating, Dumpling Girl.


Harrigan's Irish Pub
Hunter Valley Gardens 
Broke Road
Pokolbin  NSW  2320

Ph: (02) 4998 4300
http://www.harrigansirishpub.com.au/HunterValley/Dining.aspx 
 
Harrigan's Irish Pub on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

susan said...

Those chips look great! I haven't been to the pub before when in the Hunter, I guess cause by the end of the day I am so full of wine that I can't drink anymore!

Dumpling Girl said...

Hi Susan, I know what you mean about being full of wine, good thing the real drinking didn't start until the next day :)