Monday, February 28, 2011

Oliver Brown, Top Ryde City Shopping Centre

 
Cheesecake Boy and I are still busy organising our new place, I swear this unpacking is just never ending.  We needed storage containers for the kitchen, so on Sunday we decided to conquer the maze of Ikea.  Approaching the crazy zoo of Ikea made me want out, so some intense wandering of Rhodes Shopping Centre took place instead.  Exhausted after our efforts, we needed a sugar hit.  

After Rhodes Shopping Centre, we headed up to Mrs. Fields at Top Ryde Shopping Centre to get a nibblers gift pack, but decided to detour to Oliver Brown for our sugar hit first.  Oliver Brown is a chocolate cafe that opened late last year.  Apparently, they also have a store in Chatswood Westfield in the Fresh Food Market section.

When the Top Ryde shop initially opened, they offered discounts for all beverages and food excluding chocolate box sets, but as it was so busy, it put us off.  However, this place opens until midnight most nights, and I always see quite a large crowd inside, so we decided to see what all the fuss was about.

The shop front

We decide to sit inside and there are racks on the wall that offer magazines or the paper for you to read whilst you enjoy your purchases.

Inside seating
Counter and shelves of chocolate

Cheesecake Boy and I both order a dark hot chocolate each and decide to share the Belgian waffles.  They also have a selection of savoury choices, if you don't want to overdo it with the sweets.

Our hot chocolates arrive and I am pleasantly surprised.  I don't know if any of you have tried a place called 'The Chocolate Room' they have one on Sussex Street and I believe one in Parramatta.  Anyway, after trying the one on Sussex Street, we have been really skeptical to try any new chocolate cafe since.  

However, this hot chocolate has renewed our faith in chocolate cafes now.  This was wonderfully creamy and sweet without being overly strong as some dark chocolate drinks are.  I loved the roundness of the mugs, they felt so cosy.

Dark hot chocolate, $6 each

The waffles come out and they don't look particularly pretty, but after my first bite I forgive it's messy and unappetising appearance.  These waffles have that lovely crisp sugary coat and they have just enough drizzled chocolate to prevent overkill.  I prefer these waffles to the Max Brenner ones but they are not as good as the Boon Chocolates ones that still top my list.

Belgian waffles with chocolate for two, $10

Oliver Brown is a great addition to our local area for a sweet treat, I see why they are so busy most nights.   At least now, I can save Cheesecake Boy a late night trip to San Churro in Glebe, when I need a late night sugar fix.


Happy eating, Dumpling Girl.


Oliver Brown
Top Ryde City Shopping CentreGround Level, Shop F1Cnr Devlin Street & Blaxland Road
Ryde  NSW  2112
Ph: (02) 9809 7007

7 comments:

joey@forkingaroundsydney said...

I hate packing and unpacking too! So much stress .... and who knew Top Ryde City will get a few neat places like this? Much better than Rhodes I reckon.

Dumpling Girl said...

Hi Joey - Almost there with the unpacking, two more bedrooms to go :)

The eateries available at Top Ryde City are definitely better than Rhodes, I agree with that.

Anonymous said...

How much are the hot chocolates?

Great to see a review of a cafe in my local area! Thanks

Dumpling Girl said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks. The prices were $6 each at that time.

It's good to have something different in our local area :)

Mrs Fields Top Ryde said...

Awwww! u didn't come past & try our cookies or nibblers. Next time u pass by come say Hi!

I'm usually there Thurs,Fri, Sat & Sun...

I'd like to show how different our cakes are... no other store does them like I do!

Dumpling Girl said...

@ Mrs Fields Top Ryde, we did come by that day and bought a gift box. We have come a few times now, but we eat on the run, as I like to get the groceries out of the way. I'm a fan of the chocolate peanut butter brownies :)

Mrs Fields Top Ryed said...

YAY!!! I understand and yes the Peanut Butter Dream Bar is pretty sensational! Thanks :)