Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pasticceria Tamborrino, Five Dock


The holiday eating continued yesterday, when we dropped the car off at the mechanic for some maintenance before our drive down to the Hunter Valley.  While we were waiting for the car, we decided to take a bus down to Five Dock for some sweet breakfast treats.  We both love our Italian sweets and Pasticceria Tamborrino is one of our favourites.

First part of shop
Second part of shop
The counter
I wanted that sfogliatelle and the...
hazelnut custard bigne, but there was no room :(
There must be some Hello Kitty fanatics here too, lol.  Can't seem to escape Hello Kitty anywhere.

The intention really was to have a sweet breakfast, but this morning I couldn't just do sweets alone. However, as we were trying to decide what sweets we wanted for breakfast, we spied a focaccia menu being placed on the counter. They did have a breakfast menu, but it only consisted of three items, two being toast and cereal and I really can't remember the third, so a prosciutto focaccia was an easy choice for our savoury.

This was a beautiful tasting prosciutto focaccia.  I felt sandwich love when I took my first bite.  This is a huge thing for me, as I am not actually keen on prosciutto or rocket.  I tend to steer away from cured meats in general, but this combination of prosciutto, rocket, tomato, eggplant and molten bocconcini  between toasted focaccia was so good.  It was simple, but perfectly balanced, a delight to munch down.

Prosciutto focaccia, $6


Zuccherati has to be one of my all time favourite sweets, as when I need a sugar hit at work, one of the little cafes downstairs sell them, and this is my energy boost.  Zuccherati is a lovely Italian doughnut filled with vanilla custard.  It was lovely and fresh, as the doughnut was still slightly warm and crisp on the outside and wonderfully soft inside.  The vanilla custard inside was so creamy and a beautiful flavour, this all went down well with the sugar coating.  Definitely, one of the better zuccherati I have had.  This was Cheesecake Boy's first time, but he was pleasantly surprised and loved it too.

Zuccherati

Now, the real reason we come here is because of their cannoli.  Cheesecake Boy thinks these are the best cannoli around, and from this visit, I may just have to agree with him.  The only issue may be that the cannolo pastry shells may be slightly too crisp, as they shatter at first bite.  However, the flavour is there with the pastry shell and the rich creamy fillings, they come together beautifully.  My favourites were the ricotta and vanilla custard filling, whereas Cheesecake Boy had a preference for the chocolate.

Mini cannoli: ricotta, vanilla custard and chocolate

There were no prices for the pastries at the counter, but all the above food with a cup of tea and a huge mug of cappuccino, just came to under $20.  If you plan to drop in on the weekend, be warned that you need to come early, as this place gets packed.  Pasticceria Tamborrino truly has a lovely  range of traditional Italian treats.  I could really go for another one of those prosciutto focaccia's right now.


Happy eating, Dumpling Girl.


Pasticceria Tamborrino
75 Great North Road
Five Dock  NSW  2046
Ph: (02) 9712 1461
http://www.pasticceriatamborrino.com.au/

Pasticceria Tamborrino on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

joey@forkingaroundsydney said...

Nice cannoli! A bit far for me but I will keep it in mind if I'm ever in the area. Thanks guys.

Jen said...

The prosciutto focaccia looks heavenly. The ricotta cannoli are my favourite too. I'll have to go try them to see if they're as good as Mezzapica's.

Dumpling Girl said...

Hello Joey, no worries as sharing is caring :) The cannoli are great, I hope you make it over there soon.

Hi Jen, the focaccia was absolutely delicious, I could of ate the whole thing, lol.

I prefer the zuccherati here over Mezzapica's, but cannot remember if I tried the cannoli there. I definitely prefer these cannoli over the ones at Pasticceria Papa and A&P Sulfaro Pasticceria Italiana in Haberfield.

susan said...

I so love cannoli, I have yet to find anywhere in Canberra that makes a good one though. All the food looks delicious and for such a great price! I would like everything in that display please!

chocolatesuze said...

omgggg the zuccherati looks amazing!

Dumpling Girl said...

Hi Susan, the cannoli is fantastic. I've always wanted to go down to Silo Bakery in Canberra. Lol, I would eat everything on the display too :)

Hi Chocolatesuze, the zuccherati was sensational!

Gianna@TheEmptyFridge said...

i love tamborino! they do the best pistachio buscuits in the 'hood, and some awesome coffee also!

Dumpling Girl said...

Hi Gianna, I'll definitely give those biscuits a try when I'm in Five Dock next week. It's overwhelming in there as there's too much to choose from :)