Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sorell Fruit Farm - Sorell, Tasmania


I've been a city girl all my life, whereas Cheesecake Boy for some part of his life grew up on a farm.  So, you may be able to imagine the shock on Cheesecake Boy face when I initially told him that I had never picked fruit before and thought it would be a charming idea to go around with a basket and wander off in search of fruit.  Lol, he thought I was joking.  

Well, I eventually did get my wish to wander around in search of fruit when we were in Tasmania last year.  The moment took place on the morning of my birthday,  as Cheesecake Boy surprised me by driving me down to Sorell Fruit Farm to pick some fruit.  The past visions I had of picking fruit with a summer dress was never going to happen in Tasmania, so I had to make do with picking strawberries in my hoodie as the wind that summer day was so chilly.

The shop front

Before we could commence with fruit picking, we had to made sure that our tummies were not running on empty, so a good breakfast was in order.  Now, if there are waffles on the menu you can be 99.9% sure that Cheesecake Boy is going to order them.  I was still a little worse for wear with my motion sickness so I decided to go for the scones.

The waffles were nothing special but it was the strawberry sauce that had Cheesecake Boy going.   To the point that he was just eating spoonfuls of the sauce.

Waffles with strawberry sauce and ice cream

My scones were nice and warm and it wasn't until I tried the strawberry jam that I understood why Cheesecake Boy looked so blissfully happy with the sauce.  The strawberry jam was sensational and it's hard for me to describe why I liked it so much as all jams are sweet, but the consistency was just right and the jam had the right amount of strawberry flavour going through it.  Cheesecake Boy had to stop me from buying too many jars to bring back home.

Scones with cream and strawberry jam

After breakfast, we collected our containers and it was off to the orchard behind the shop.  We were told that it would be best to pick strawberries as they were still in season when we were there.  However, we had come just after their peak period, so  a lot of the fruit had already been picked and we would have to search a bit harder.


We got to the strawberry fields and it was all a matter of finding some ripe strawberries ready for picking, except the field was pretty big, so it took some time to find a good patch where the strawberries were abundant and ripe for picking.

Strawberry fields

We found our first strawberry, so we thought that was a pretty photo worthy moment and before we knew it, we plucked it out and gave it a bite :)

Our first strawberry

Our first punnet together and my first punnet ever.  These strawberries were truly heavenly.  There must be something in the Tasmanian air that makes all fruit and vegetables taste so much better over there.

Our first punnet
The scenery as we are leaving the orchard

We had a lovely time and it was a great start to the day.  I highly recommend this experience, whether you want to pick fruit due to the variety available or just to sit back and relax with a cup of tea to soak up this charming spot or perhaps like us, you may feel like doing both.


Happy eating, Dumpling Girl.

Sorrell Fruit Farm
174 Pawleena Road
Sorell  TAS  7172
(03) 6265 3100
http://www.sorellfruitfarm.com/

2 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

oh wow you make those strawberries sound so delish im dying to eat some jam and go fruit picking!

Dumpling Girl said...

Hi Chocolatesuze - the strawberries were so yum, I loved the fruit picking, I'd encourage anyone to do it at least once, it was so relaxing.