Sunday, April 17, 2011

Bourke Street Bakery, Marrickville


I'm going to give the Hunter Valley posts a break for a bit and come back to some Sydney posts.  It was a miserable day yesterday, best for sleeping and eating comfort food at home.  However, sausage roll cravings were in the air and where better to get our fix, but at Bourke Street Bakery.  There are now quite a few stores of Bourke Street Bakery around, so it was not hard to pick their Marrickville store, somewhere we could sit and watch the rain pitter patter away, while we were eating.


We get to the counter, and the sweet treats on the counter tempted us easily.  My favourites of strawberry and vanilla brulee tart and carrot cake are all there, but we opted to try something different.  Except, it was hard to make a final decision.


Cheesecake Boy always goes for the pork and fennel sausage roll, and as usual the sweet porkiness complements the punchy fennel filling perfectly.

Pork and fennel sausage roll, $4.50

The lamb, harrisa and almond sausage roll is my favourite at Bourke Street Bakery.  I love the juicy lamb, the sweetness of the harissa and currants and finishing with the crunch of the almonds.  After my sausage roll was demolished, I always swear that I will get around to making these with my Bourke Street Bakery baking companion one of these days, but I still haven't gotten around to it yet.
 
Lamb, harrisa and almond sausage roll, $4.50

Some of Cheesecake Boy's family came along with us for the sausage roll trek.  We ordered everything the same except for the ricotta, zucchini, feta and baby spinach pizza.  It looked lovely, but I was too busy savouring my sausage roll, to give it a try.

Ricotta, zucchini, feta and baby spinach pizza, $6.80

It was time to finish off with some sweet treats, and we finally decided on the prune, brandy and vanilla custard tart and dark chocolate, vanilla marshmallow and raspberry tart.

The prune, brandy and vanilla custard tart was wonderfully light and subtle.  It was not a heavy or heady custard but light and airy.  The shortcrust pastry had a lovely melt in your mouth texture, and was a nice complement to the light custard and soft brandy prunes.
 
Prune, brandy and vanilla custard tart, $5

The dark chocolate, vanilla marshmallow and raspberry tart was a must try, as I had never seen these ones before.  Dark chocolate and raspberries are one of my favourite combinations, and this was fantastic with the soft marshmallow and rich raspberries through out the tart.  The hardness of the crust was lovely against the soft filling.

Dark chocolate, vanilla marshmallow and raspberry tart, $4.80
Marshmallow and raspberry goodness

This was a perfect rainy day lunch, but this would have been a perfect lunch anytime for me.  The Marrickville location is great, as I don't have to wait in the Surry Hills queue.  It may be a bit out of the way, but I love the cosy and inviting space at the Marrickville shop. 

Happy munching, Dumpling Girl.


Bourke Street Bakery
2 Mitchell Street
Marrickville  NSW 2204

Ph: (02) 9569 3225
http://www.bourkestreetbakery.com.au/

Bourke Street Bakery on Urbanspoon

16 comments:

muppy said...

Those sausage rolls look like awesome flavours, I love the look of the brulee tart :)

chocolatesuze said...

wow that choc raspberry tart has me drooling!

Dumpling Girl said...

Hello muppy, the sausage rolls are fantastic here and I also love the rustic look of the pastries as well.

Hi chocolatesuze, the marshmallow made it a must order for me :)

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

The lamb and harissa rolls are amazing and yes that chocolate raspberry tart looks scrumptious. Love the cross-section shot! It's like a wagon wheel in a tart shell!

Dumpling Girl said...

Hello Helen, the wagon wheel never crossed my mind but it certainly does look like one, now that you have mentioned it, lol. Definitely, tastes better than a wagon wheel :)

joey@forkingaroundsydney said...

The sausage rolls here are so good I always get one no matter what, even if they look rather disfigured at times. LOL. Must try the sweets, they look fab.

chopinandmysaucepan said...

Love the cross section shot, you left your teeth marks there too! :)

Dumpling Girl said...

Hello Joey, lol in relation to the disfiguring, never thought of it like that, but so true. The sweets are great, so hope you get around to it soon.

Hi chopinandmysaucepan, I must have big teeth or Cheesecake Boy does, hehe. Hopefully, we're forgiven for that.

Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

Whoa - marshmallow! I haven't seen that before (it's been a while since my last BSB hit...)

The lemon is still my favourite though :)

Dumpling Girl said...

Hello Tina, it was a while for me too, so I had never seen the marshmallow tart before as well :)

I love the lemon too, it's so creamy.

Jen said...

I love the pork and fennel sausage rolls too. I've made them at home from their book and they're pretty easy and tasty! You should definitely give them a go! :)

Dumpling Girl said...

Hello Jen, thanks for the encouragement, looks like the Easter break might be the perfect time to give it a go :)

jack said...

Dumpling Girl, that tart looks amazing!!! Choc, raspberry AND marshmallow - what more could a girl ask for? I am so going to try one of these!!!

Dumpling Girl said...

Hi Jack, it's a blissful combination, for sure.

susan said...

I haven't seen the tarts with the marshmallow before! Yum I love their food there.

Dumpling Girl said...

Hello Susan, it was a nice surprise for me too.