Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Enzo - Pokolbin, Hunter Valley


It was Cheesecake Boy and my first offical day in the Hunter Valley, and as per usual we did some breakfast wine tasting. However, it always gets to a point where wine alone stops satisfying the need for food.  I had heard about the scones at Enzo, so we decided to check them out and head off for some brunch, before we continued on to the rest of the vineyards for the day.

Charming entrance


We ordered some drinks and they come with Tiny Teddies, have not had one since I was a kid.  My tea was served on a story book, I thought this was a charming touch and the book kept us entertained until the food came.

Cappuccino included in price of scones
English breakfast tea, $6
The story book tea server

I ordered the muesli and it was really lovely with the house made yoghurt.  It was meant to come with a bowl of strawberries, passionfruit and rockmelon, but they were not available.  However, I much prefer the combination of pears, apples, and blueberries.  It was a nice and healthy way to start the morning, and definitely the healthiest meal I had while I was up in the Hunter Valley.

Brookfarm toasted muesli with house made yoghurt and pear, apple and blueberries, $15

Cheesecake Boy decided to go for toast that morning.  There was a choice of spreads and he requested for marmalade.  The sourdough was nice, but the marmalade was disappointing as it was a bit too bitter for Cheesecake Boy's liking.

Toasted sourdough with marmalade, $8.50

The scones are not on the menu and you have to ask for them.  They looked beautiful on the outside, but I compare scones to my favourite ones at the Tea Room in Queen Victoria Building.  The scones ticked the boxes for being light and fluffy, but I found that they scones had more of a cake crumb consistency.  I think another thing that let these scones down for me was that the strawberry jam they served with it, did not have much of that sweet strawberry taste that I love.  Also, the clotted cream was just a smidget on the too dense side for me, and I thought it could of done with a bit more sweetening.  Cheesecake Boy and I have incredible sweet tooths, but if you don't then these scones may just be your thing.

Scones with cappuccino, $15

Enzo is situated in the beautiful and peaceful Peppers Creek of the Hunter Valley, right next to the cellar door of David Hooks who does some exceptional wines.  Enzo feels like that secret place you want to hide away in, with it's old world charm and simple comfort food. 



Happy breakfasting, Dumpling Girl.


Enzo 
Peppers Creek
Cnr Broke & Ekerts Road 
Pokolbin NSW  2320
Ph: (02) 4998 7233

Cafe Enzo on Urbanspoon

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think i would have loved the bitter marmalade, sounds like a great breakfast - but $6 for tea?!?!? it is just boiling water and leaves - no work at all. Coffee is much more difficult to prepare. Hope they used real tea leaves and not bags. I have started walking out of places that use tea bags. R.

Dumpling Girl said...

Hello R, well they forgot the T2 tea bag and had to come back and give me one :) You would love it there.

Pho Girl said...

How was the muesli? I have not had a good musli since Chambers shut down. I prefer mine cooked so it is nice and warm for winter.

Pho Girl said...

Opps forgot to mention i love that they used a storybook to serve the tea. Reminds me of all the golden books i read as a kid.

Dumpling Girl said...

Hello Pho Girl, I loved the muesli but it's not soaked. The Golden Books were a fave of mine too, when I was younger :)

Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

Oh, I love David Hook Wines - I've got a lovely riesling from my last trip that I'm looking forward to quaffing :)

Dumpling Girl said...

Hi Tina, we got the David Hooks Mosto and we can't wait to crack that one open, but it's hard when you're back with over 20 bottles later to choose which one to drink each night. Will post wines up in the near future, must get the eating out of the way first :)

susan said...

I love the way they present their food. I can't get over 6 bucks for a tea though..

Dumpling Girl said...

Hello Susan, I loved the way the food was served too. You're right $6 for tea is a but steep.

Two fit and fun gals said...

love hunter valley! luvin all your posts too im going back next mth :D

Dumpling Girl said...

Hi Two fit and fun gals, there are a few more Hunter Valley posts to come :)

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

I stopped in at Enzo especially to try their scones and loved them. I like the scones at QVB Tea Room as well but find there seems to be two different "styles" of them about - the fluffy bun-like ones here, and the more crumbly but crusty ones like at the Tea Room, if you get what I mean. But I do like them both despite their differences.

Dumpling Girl said...

Hi mademoiselle délicieuse, when I was up a few weeks ago, the Enzo ones had a more cake crumb consistency that I did not enjoy, I prefer the fluffy bun type of the Tea Room. However, the real issue was what they were served with, the jam was not strawberry enough and the cream much too dense and sour to be a good contrast for the scones. It was a combination of factors, had the accompaniments been better than I probably would of enjoyed this more.

Vivian - vxdollface said...

i love the look of the museli! hehe i think i have that mickey mouse book at home somewhere ^^
hmm will try those scones tomorrow, don't have much of a sweet tooth so this may just be for me~

Dumpling Girl said...

Hello Vivian, lol the book was adorable and the muesli was lovely.